Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Tapas Tasting; Downtown Kalamzoo's Fandango Bistro


Tucked into a little corner on Burdick Street within the Kalamazoo Mall, Fandango Tapas Bistro provides a mildly exotic night-spot for various twenty-something year olds to go out and sample Spanish cuisine.
First and foremost, Fandango is a night-hopping sort of place. There is no lunch crowd, as they are open for 5 hours, from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Saturday. There is a big, semi-circle bar, tiled in the style of a Spanish ranch, which takes up most of the space. Little fern plants stand guard next to the liquor rack and a lonely LCD television keeps the single avid sports watcher’s attention.  Orange-red, swipe-painted walls are decorated with various, generic, Spanish covered paintings there to evoke a sense of exotic night life. Low lights hang and there are tall-tables all around. The place has energy, decent cocktails, and a quick and helpful serving staff that guides you on your little culinary adventure into Hispania.
Tapas are a finicky food—you get a little for a lot. By no means is Fandango cheap. Prices range from $6 to $12 for tapas dishes, and my waitress recommended that we order 2 to 3 dishes per person throughout the night. While it isn’t necessary to follow their advice, you are going to want to take a smattering of this and that from the menu—this is the devilish thing about these small dishes—your eyes and stomach won’t leave you with much of a choice. When I went, I ordered 4 different dishes and a dessert to split, which ended up running to about $40 without tip.
But that is the price you pay for intimacy. As I previously mentioned, the whole place is packed into the Kalamazoo Mall, a black-Lego block of an awning that takes up the kitty corner across from the Kalamazoo Gazette—and that is it. According to the owners, the place seats 87 individuals at maximum capacity, but I can’t imagine ‘comfortably’ being thrown in there afterwards. The place is built more like a coffee joint in downtown Chicago, with the bar taking up about half of the floor space and the kitchen smashed in further behind it. Whether you like it or not, you are going to become familiar with that 25-year old law student sitting behind you, her 3-minute jogging routine, her various previous flings she’s had over the past month, and the 28-year old bachelor who is agreeing with her about as furiously as he is trying to get in her pants.
That closeness follows through past the social bubble popping, however, and communicates through the food. For those of you not familiar with the idea of tapas, the whole idea is grabbing little bites of everything. You know when you went to the buffet as a kid: grabbed a buffalo wing here, a taquito there, and then plopped that pizza puff that looked way too tempting sitting in all that grease right in the middle of the plate on top of all the other food you got? Imagine that, except with goat cheese, chicken, seafood, and other nibbles of Spanish cuisine, served in individual skillets or bowls just a little bit larger than a man’s hand. One should go here in an attempt at satisfying their palate rather than their stomach, so don’t expect to loosen any belt notches.
Which is perfect, really; bloating would ruin a meal at Fandango. Each dish, such as the patatas bravas for example; sautéed potatoes, garlic and onions, topped with a perky pepper sauce that sizzles on your lips and the tip of your tongue, is designed to be a snippet of flavor and texture. The animal fat the dish is cooked in will stick with you for the rest of the night, and the crispness of the thin slices potatoes can’t help but bring baconized potato chips to mind.  You think “wow, that was unique” and go on and order something else off the 40-plus menu of snacklets and appetizers.
The meal will truly hinge around that first tapa, though—and that was what concerned me. The aforementioned patatas bravas will definitely be a conversation (and meal) starter, but when it came to some of the other dishes I grew a bit disenchanted. The cheesy roasted eggplant, thinly sliced eggplant served with a delicate cheese crust and a red sauce on the side, was hearty at a first, but ended up tasting a bit too much like sit-down pizza, as well as being a bit rubbery. I also feel it is important to mention that is was so salty that my chapped lips began to throb while eating it, leaving me to gulp down water like a cowboy in a Spaghetti western just in from the desert. And what I had hoped to be a enlivening end to evening ended up being a bit of letdown, as the habanero chicken that had been glaring at me from the menu all night and sounded so sadistically promising with its sweet glaze and Scoville searing sauce ended up tasting more like Asian chicken with some sweet sauce on top.
The mango shrimp cocktail, what is basically a bowl of shrimp smothered in your average cocktail sauce presented charmingly in a glass goblet with bits of mango thrown in with and a bit of a lime zest for flavor, however, grew on me.  It wasn’t over complicated, nor presented many ‘unique’ or ‘exotic’ flavors, but served as nice talking food, occasionally biting at you with a fruity after taste combined with a touch of the sea.
But these are only four dishes, not even a tenth of the tapas menu, and that is not including the variety of flatbreads, paella, and salad dishes that are served as well—although ordering these would be akin to ordering a hamburger at a high-end Italian restaurant after pouring ketchup all over your breadsticks. One should go in with a group of friends and take a little nibble, sometimes it only takes one bite to get hooked.


Frankly quite full,

-E. Clark

11 comments:

  1. Hey Zack, your review was awesome. You used some really distinct words that really conveyed the experience you had.And upon reading, I was realizing that you sound like a restaurant critic- Zack as a restaurant critic, which is quite an accomplishment! I hope I can sounds half as swift and effortless as you. However, I do think tightening it up a bit would help. The overall flow was good, and I like how you move through the different aspects of the restaurant as you progress in the criticism. But I felt like you spent to much time on the feel and not enough on the food. I think that only one paragraph is enough to describe the aesthetics of the inside, and also the fact that that makes it a squished place on the mall- you have two paragraphs one for each of these things. I love your sentence about the social bubble popping- it was awesome. Just opinions, we can talk more in class :)
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your review is pleasantly written. I agree with Charlotte, " the overall flow was good." I was just wondering if you took pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your review, it is pleasant to read. I agree with Charlotte, " the overall flow was good". Question : Did you take pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that your descriptions were very nice, I definitely got a feel for the atmosphere of the restaurant. I did feel at times the sentences could be pared down and they would make a little more sense. Overall, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your piece has a strong voice and you provide great descriptions of everything. You did a great job setting the scene. I agree with Charlotte that you could have devoted a little more of the piece to the food itself. Overall though you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zack,

    I love the adjectives and the exact words you used to describe your experience. I like your food descriptions. However, sometimes I feel you digress more in other things and you don't focus on the food. The last paragraph was really good; it was a good ending to this EXOTIC culinary trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on this. I have heard different reviews about Fandago, and it's nice to get yours thrown into the mix. I think that you definitely lead your critique with a strong voice, that I as a reader, found compelling enough to continue reading. I would have liked to hear more about the food specifically, the different flavors you experienced, and how extensive the menu was. You do an excellent job describing the atmosphere of the restaurant, and I really liked how you went into detail describing the concept of tapas and your opinion on this "finicky food."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zach,
    I loved your voice that really came through in this piece. I imagined myself reading it and deciding whether or not I would eat at this place. I thought that your voice was personable and very relate-able to the the reader. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The way you described the atmosphere was very effective to help me imagine what Fandango is like. I also enjoyed how you explained what Tapas is for people like me who never have had it, and what your ordering experience was like. I wish you had described the food itself a little more and talked about the overall experience at the end--I felt like I wanted a little more at the end. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your voice was strong in this piece and your descriptions were great. I don't have much experience with tapas, and you did a great job describing both tapas in general and this particular meal. I feel both informed and hungry now, so good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did really well in the descriptions of the restaurant and its food, however i didn't get your "butt" or maybe be you didn't state it clearly.

    ReplyDelete